A Travellerspoint blog

Luang Nam Tha

22nd January to 26th January

View Travels 2014 on mattandsusanne's travel map.

We started our journey on the back of a pick-up truck with two Dutch ladies to the bus station out of town where we had booked a so-called VIP bus to Luang Nam Tha. It was a bus like no other. It arrived emblazoned with Chinese writing as it does the route right through Northern Laos into China. Inside there were no seats but actual beds – double beds on each side of the bus, equipped with comfy mattresses (comfier than many guesthouses we have stayed in), pillows and warm duvets! Susanne managed to get a good sleep for the three hour journey as she was suffering from a cold, while Matt looked at the gorgeous scenery through the mountains. When we arrived in Luang Nam Tha it was a bit of a dishevelled town, not particularly pretty to look at but surrounded by the mountains of the national park in the distance. We found a cheap guesthouse and then had a wander around the town, stumbling upon a local football match where the spectators were literally surrounding the pitch on the throw-in lines. In the evening we savoured some of the local cuisine at the daily night market which also had a few Akha people wandering around (one of the ethnic tribes in Laos). However, one thing to say about Northern Laos is that it is seriously cold at night and in the morning. The temperature dropped to somewhere around 4 degrees and we could even see our icy breath.


The next day we hired some bikes to head out of the town and into the surrounding rice paddy fields and villages. Luang Nam Tha province and the national park are renowned for being home to a large number of ethnic minorities some of which are unique to Laos and others which can also be found in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. The ethnic makeup of Laos is quite fascinating, with these different groups having distinct traditions, appearances, costumes and languages. We grabbed a map from the local shop and headed out on a circular route that took us through some beautiful scenery, rice paddies, villages and a nice waterfall. At times it felt a little strange meandering into people’s villages, but it was a lovely experience to see how people live their day-to-day lives. Many of the villages were also beautifully cared for which was quite a departure from some of the dirty and untidy villages/small towns you find in Thailand. We stopped for some lunch at a lovely little place on the river, but Susanne managed to order a fiendishly hot aubergine dip which made us both feel quite ill. In the evening we ate again at the night market trying to avoid anything hot this time and then booked up our two-day trek for the morning.


25th to 26th January:
We and seven other people in the group were picked up in the morning by our guides, one chap who we can’t remember his name and our trainee guide Ponchi who was apparently 16 but looked like an 11 year old! During the cold morning we were first taken to a local market to pick up food for the trek and presents for children in the village. The market was amazing with a wondrous selection of fruit, veg, fish and meat and weird and wonderful dishes being sold everywhere. In amongst it all were certain exotic items like colourful jungle birds for sale (for eating not for pets!). We were then taken in a tuk tuk to the start of our trek which began in a local village. Our guide showed us how to make a simple bamboo flute, something he had been taught to do in his own tribe the Khmu. Matt was in ethno heaven and later quizzed him on the musical traditions of the Khmu tribe! The walk went through beautiful hills, paddy fields, rubber trees and thick, wet jungle – it was a lovely mixture of all the natural habitats Luang Nam Tha national park has to offer. For lunch we stopped at a little hut in the forest and had a lovely meal of stuff bought from the market all laid out on massive banana leaves over the table – all we had were our hands and sticky rice to mop up the lovely dishes. After more trekking we finally reached the village we were staying at just after Susanne managed to spot some wild dogs running across the hills.


The homestay in the village was a strange but wonderful experience. The Luang Nam Tha national park is well-known for its eco-tourism, and there are many tours that spend time in many of the hundreds of ethnic villages dotted around the park. While catering to the tourist trade, the villages still receive a large proportion of the tour sales making it a significant form of community development. However, it still felt quite intrusive to wander around someone’s village and stay in a stranger’s home. Many of the villagers didn’t really make any contact with us and just went about their day-to-day business. Even so, the villagers we did meet were really friendly and there were loads of children who were naturally quite fascinated by us. We stayed in a Lanten village which is a group that arrived from China around 500 years ago. After chilling in the village and relaxing after the walk, we were taken to the local school where we were encouraged to teach English – but clearly the kids had already experienced tourists teaching them and were familiar with the abcs and 123s that we were teaching them! We were allowed to wander around the village and observe the very peaceful lives of the people living there. In the evening we sat around the fire for dinner and were treated to some local rice wine which was powerful but really quite tasty. It was nice sitting around with the rest of the trekking group, all of whom were really nice people. At around 8.30 we were filed off in twos to our host families, Susanne and I quickly met the family and were then beckoned to go to bed on our raised bamboo platform – certainly an early night!


We were woken up early by roosters making a racket and were then treated to some ratten shoots roasted in the fire for breakfast by our host family. These are basically soft bamboo, and when eaten with chilli flakes and salt they are absolutely delicious. After a second breakfast with the rest of the group, we begin the second day of trekking. We headed through some of the most beautiful and pristine jungle we have ever seen with streams running through and large palm leaves. We then entered a lovely bamboo forest where our guide showed us how local villagers would make a traditional trap to catch large animals such as deer. After more beautiful forest, we stopped for lunch and were treated to a jungle cooking course with the guides showing us how to do traditional bamboo cooking over the fire. They whisked up two soups almost entirely made from ingredients found in the forest apart from tomatoes and salt, along with a crab our young guide Ponchi managed to catch in the river. We were then taught how to make banana-leaf spoons with which we ate the delicious soup served in traditional bamboo containers – it was quite a memorable experience. After lunch we headed through more beautiful jungle and then to a waterfall where Susanne and other members of the group took a ‘jungle shower’ – Matt wimped out! At the end of the trek we visited a Khmu village and then headed back to Luang Nam Tha for a well-earned shower and some grub at the night market. Tomorrow morning we are off to Nong Khiaw, a village to the east on the river – hopefully for a bit of relaxing time after some hardcore trekking!


Posted by mattandsusanne 18:22 Archived in Laos Comments (2)

Chiang Mai and Jungle

17th January 2014 to 22nd January 2014

View Travels 2014 on mattandsusanne's travel map.

17th January:
After our delayed train, we arrived into Chiang Mai to a number of touts trying to get us to stay in their guesthouses. One place (Chiang Mai Thai House) took our fancy as it had a swimming pool, looked pretty nice and only cost 400B. The guy also said we could have a free transfer with no commitment to stay, so we thought why not. When we arrived the room actually looked like it did on the pictures – it was actually quite lush for £7.50 a night! However, it became apparent that the only thing the hotel had in mind was getting you to book a trek – when they discovered we didn’t want to do one, miraculously the room wasn’t available for a second night (oh well, we wanted to leave anyway!). After checking in, we wandered around the city and the cute little lanes that dotted the old town. There were also loads of cheap little places to eat which made us snack too much. A couple of favourites included Kao soi noddles, a speciality from Northern Thailand which was lovely, as well as a deep fried sandwich and quails eggs. After dinner, we looked for somewhere to book our onward travel to a hippie town called Pai and stumbled across a little travel agent owned by a really nice Thai guy called Anh. When we were booking our bus to Pai, he started telling us about a trip we could to do his family’s farm after we shared our dislike of the horrendously touristy trekking culture in Chiang Mai. He described a very picturesque and off-the-beaten track experience with his family staying at their farm and hunting with his uncle – we thought this could either be a disaster or a great adventure, so we went for it. After booking the trip, we headed off to the Saturday night market which was a shopping delight for Susanne. It was a 2km long market with a wonderful mixture of food stalls and local arts and crafts mixed with cheap massage places – it was the best market we’d been to in Thailand if not the world!


18th to 21st January:
We were picked up early and taken to Anh’s travel agency to then be taken by his father. Anh’s family speak next to no English, with his father (Neu) only having a few words. After an hour and a half journey out of Chiang Mai (to Maetang province, Banpao sub-province and the village of Soblaem), we ended up in a beautiful and rustic little village at the foot of the mountains surrounded by paddy fields. We first went to Anh’s mother’s (Dauen) house and were treated to a massive lunch which we couldn’t even get through half of and then made friends with the family dogs (Lam and Bobbie). After lunch we headed to the family farm, a lovely but simple lodging in a typical Thai style in the middle of the paddy fields with beautiful views of the mountains. We had a little tour of the farm which was quite tricky with the linguistic difficulties, but were introduced to the pigs, the chickens and were given some weird and wonderful foods such as bitter apple. We chilled out at the farm for a couple of hours, pleased to get away from the Thailand tourist trail. At around 6 after admiring the beautiful sunset, George the other English chap staying at the farm who we heard lots about through Anh arrived back from his trek and we went for dinner at Anh’s brother M’s shop/bar/gas station. We chatted with George for a while recounting tales of travel in Thailand and then played with M’s son, colouring in his Transformers book. After dinner, we were taken back to the farm and Neu started up a lovely campfire and barbequed some sticky rice. It was nice to sit around the campfire particularly as it was so bloody cold we were also able to look at the stunning moon rising in the horizon! At night, Susanne had four duvets to keep herself warm in the open-aired room we were sleeping in!


Promptly at 10am we were picked up by Mr Tim (Anh’s uncle) and M both carrying big rifles to head off trekking and hunting in the jungle. We were whisked away on the back on their mopeds and taken through beautiful scenery to the start of our trek. We walked through lush forest that started off very dry in the higher parts of the hills and then got more jungle-like as we reached the river running through the valleys. We tried to walk extremely quietly, but compared to Mr Tim and M we were still like stomping elephants. As a result, they didn’t catch any birds, rabbits or pigs during the whole walk – but secretly Susanne was telling the animals to stay far away! For lunch we stopped by the river and the guys started up a fire, setting up a bamboo contraption in which they cooked sticky rice – it was great to see these traditional techniques still being used. Susanne managed to spot a fish in the water which Mr Tim promptly slaughtered with his machete and was added the lunch. Mr Tim also did an offering to the forest before we ate lunch showing how animist beliefs still underlie certain practices in Thailand despite it being a predominantly Buddhist country. After lunch did a very steep trek up a hill during the heat of the day and then headed back into the deeper parts of the jungle looking for pigs – all we managed to see, however, were the holes that the pigs had scratched in the earth. Throughout the rest of the trip we given a couple of incredibly sour tasting fruits which were supposedly for strength but tasted disgusting and Susanne thought she had poisoned herself! We were also allowed to shoot their guns at some point at a marker on a tree. Matt managed to hit the bull’s eye but Susanne was a little too high – if it was a pig, she might have got its ears! The evening was spent playing with the little boy again and chilling out looking at the stars after our long 8 hour trek.


The next day we chilled out at the farm again and Matt went for a little cycle around the village. Susanne was then taken with M’s wife, her son and the dog on a moped to her family farm where she saw the wild pigs (M’s wife kept calling them jungle pigs) they were rearing with fantastic views over the area (thanks to translation issues Susanne didn’t take the camera!). She was also shown an area where seven men were digging for ants which apparently are eaten as a delicacy. We then did a bit of fishing and had some lunch before being taken back to Chiang Mai stopping off at a huge temple in a typical ornate northern style, which was absolutely stunning. There were also very life-like statues of monks which Susanne was slightly scared of! Back in Chiang Mai we found a cute little place to stay in (Diva 2 Guesthouse) despite having a mattress like a brick wall (but for 200B or less than £4 who can complain). After finding some tasty dinner we want for a cheap massage (less than £3) – it was more severe than our last one and we both haven’t had our bodies bent in such ways before!


22nd January:
We headed on up to Chiang Kong on the Thai-Laos border with the intention being to stay on the Thai side before heading to Laos in the morning. On the way we stopped at the famous White Temple in Chiang Rai which was absolutely insane. It was a stunning temple, painted completely white and covered in mirrors which reflected the sunlight making it appear like a glimmering jewel. Inside there were beautiful, ornate and colourful murals on the wall – strangely at the back of the temple these murals included famous figures such as Elvis, Spiderman and Keanu Reeves (perhaps they were the world’s sins being gobbled up by Buddhist faith!). Around the temple there were also ceramic heads hanging from trees – it really was a surreal place. In the afternoon we arrived in Chiang Khong but after seeing that it didn’t have much to offer decided to cross the border into Laos on the same day. After Matt recovered from deviating from the plan, we did all the border formalities and ended up in a small town called Huay Xai right next to the Laos border on the Mekong River. We immediately noticed the difference in the friendliness of the Laos people, the subdued tourism, more poverty and more chilled out travellers. We found a cool little guesthouse (Gecko’s Bar) which has a lovely vibe and have met some really nice travellers heading on to various places in and out of Laos. We chilled out and watched the sunset over the Mekong from a balcony near our room – lush! We are now looking forward to all the wondrous experiences that await us in Laos. Slight downturn is how bloody cold it is at night – we even needed our jackets and could see our breath! Tomorrow we are off to a small town called Luang Nam Tha from where we can do treks into the Nam Ha national park.


Posted by mattandsusanne 06:17 Archived in Thailand Comments (2)

Going North - Ayuthaya

15th January to 17th January 2014

View Travels 2014 on mattandsusanne's travel map.

After a bit of last-minute bumming on the beach, we took our minibus off Ko Lanta island via a couple of small and very crammed car ferries. We then had a minibus transfer to Krabi and were fully exposed to the madness of Thai driving – quite scary! Once in Krabi we waited around and had an interesting chat with a Thai lady who explained more about the current political crisis. She fully supported the protests and believes that there is 80% corruption in the country, with the government increasingly marginalising the poorer communities. Our next stop was Surat Thani where we were greeted by the same miserable Thai git on our journey to Ko Phangan – he shouted at us when we wanted to touch our luggage and prevented us from eating across the road because the bus would leave in ‘5 minutes’, which of course it didn’t. We arrived into Bangkok at 5am and wandered back to near the Khao San road to freshen up. As we arrived, there was an interesting mix of early birders drinking coffee and having breakfast, and late nighters finishing off the party! We decided not to stay and instead head straight to Ayuthaya, so we took the cheap local bus to the train station. While waiting at the station, the policemen lined up and whistled for everyone to stand up at 8.00am to listen to the national anthem – it was quite surreal. In the whole journey through Bangkok we saw only a couple of protesters despite all the media coverage.

Once in Ayuthaya we found a cheap and cute room (Tony’s Place) and then rented a bike to explore the ruins around the inner island of the city. After the bustling town we were hit by stunning mid-15th century ruins of the former Thai capital – it was a really interesting place to meander around with a fascinating history. In the evening, we checked out the local night market and noshed on lots of street food which probably wasn’t a good idea for our already sore bellies! The evening ended with a cheeky chang beer in a cool little Jazz bar with a rather pissed bar tender asking us weird football questions and saying he studied in Cambridge (“I’m a genius!” he said).


The next day was spent cycling around and looking at more of the majestic ruins .We took an early evening boat tour around the river visiting temples and ruins in a tiny boat with a friendly smiley man. This time we had no choice but to take the ‘traditional’ boat – but it was all fine this time with no manic waves. The trip was great and we saw some lovely temples and ruins, and a truly enormous Buddha. We were lucky enough to arrive at the temple when a ‘dress-the-Buddha’ ceremony was going on – it was quite amazing. However, when we arrived back at the main pier our tuk tuk driver wasn’t there when we finished the tour so we had to walk back to where we booked the boat to get our bikes. We then had dinner at a cool little riverside place with a loud Thai woman singing away. Susanne couldn’t contain her excitement about getting the train! On the train we were greeted by a smiley and very camp attendee called Sammy. After a lovely but cold sleep on our top bunks, we couldn’t help but notice that the train goes about 20mph through the lovely countryside. As we write this we are on the approach into Chang Mai running about 2 hours late! (This has turned our 12 hour journey into around 14, whereas the bus took 9 – oh well, the sleep was worth it!).


Posted by mattandsusanne 02:35 Archived in Thailand Comments (1)

Ko Lanta Island

11th January to 15th January 2014

View Travels 2014 on mattandsusanne's travel map.

Our arrival into Ko Lanta wasn’t the best, as we’d booked accommodation at a transfer station in Krabi and they said we would be picked up. Predictably, no one was there. So we waited around and some kind lady at the tourist information office phoned the accommodation for us. We took a rather groovy motorbike taxi with a side cabin with benches to our place (Arena Bungalows) – the driver could barely go over 20kmh due to the three of us and our masses of luggage. Arena Bungalows looked awful as we entered – a bit comparable to a dump site. But the rooms were lovely for the 1000B (£19) we paid for three people. The rest of the day was spent doing a bit of swimming and relaxing, and then we went for some super cheap cocktails in a great little bar at the end of the beach (79B = about £1.50). The beach we chose (Klong Khong Beach) was lovely and picturesque, and it looked awesome at night with lights lining the entire length of the beach. The whole stretch of the beach was laid back and relaxed, which led to some bar even offering ‘joints’ on the official menu. There were lots of the rocks in the sea which made it tricky for swimming, but apart from that it was great.


The next day was spent bumming around on the beach, swimming and Susanne getting a tan. We also had a wonderful Thai massage which was a mixture of relaxation and shear pain! Gudrun chose the relaxing oil massage and spent the next few days raving about it and was the only one smelling of fresh oils. Afterwards, Gudrun treated us to a lovely BBQ fish dinner right on the beach. We then saw some fantastic firedancers along the beach as we strolled back to our accommodation. The next day we decided to rent some motorcycles even though Gudrun was terrified sitting on the back of Susanne’s bike and Matt just wanted to drive faster (don’t worry Dawn we had helmets!). We visited a lot of the island, taking in Saladan (the main town), the pretty Old Town and Song Gu U which is a Sea Gypsy village. We also went to a couple of other beaches for some swimming and a lovely sunset. The day ended with some of the best Thai food we have had in a tiny roadside restaurant.


On the final day we woke up early to do a four island snorkel trip which was a bit of a mixed bag. We were driven to the Old Town to catch our traditional long tail boat to the first island. The whole trip was really touristy and we felt that we were being moved around like sheep with very uncaring guides. The first snorkelling site was alright, but we were only given 10mins! The second island was better and longer, but poor Susanne got attacked by a jellyfish (luckily she’s hardcore and shrugged it off!). On the third island we had a nice lunch on a very picturesque beach and then did some fantastic snorkelling just off the island. At the fourth island we were asked to jump off the boat in high waves with life jackets to swim to a cave – it felt like we were shipwrecked bobbing along in our jackets! Matt then had the Titanic theme tune in his head. We swam through a really dark cave with bats and high rocks which lead to a stunningly beautiful enclosed bay with really high cliffs. It used to be used by pirates and people trying to get birds’ nests for the infamous birds nest soup recipe. Unfortunately we didn’t take our camera for this bit, but Gudrun did so at least she has some photos of it. After the cave, we swam back to the boat and it was really difficult due to the high waves. Susanne and Gudrun laughed it off (not) as it felt we were in a rather large wave machine not able to swim anywhere. The guide finally showed some human-ness and helped Gudrun along, pulling her by her lifejacket while repeatedly saying ‘madam’ and ‘mama’ in a thick Thai accent. We then had a long and arduous journey back as the weather was awful with incredibly high winds and waves (up to three meters). We swear the boat was about to tip on a couple of occasions and we were utterly soaked while three other people on the other side of the boat were completely kept dry and spent the time laughing and taking pictures of us. Susanne used the fruit plate to shield herself from the rather painful salty sea water spilling into the boat. The return was supposed to take 45 minutes, it took about 2 hours. We saw the speedboats racing past and jumping over the waves as if they didn’t exist with laughing tourists, who paid £4 more than us, so we decided our boat tours are jinxed (following out last boat trip in Khao Sok also getting soaked) and our motto now is “stuff the traditional, stick to the modern”. However, as we came back we saw a large sea eagle hunting in the sea which was quite amazing and brightened up our day. Luckily we made it back safe and celebrated our survival with a lovely dinner in a cute little tree hut at a place called Bee Bees Bungalows. After a buffet breakfast on the following morning we said farewell to Gudrun and Susanne and Matt are now continuing their journey – onto Bangkok and then Northern Thailand.

707boat / 720beach / 715crab / 722hut / 737breakfast

Posted by mattandsusanne 09:20 Archived in Thailand Comments (1)

Khao Sok National Park

7th January to 11th January 2014

View Travels 2014 on mattandsusanne's travel map.

7th – 8th January:
We arrived into Khao Sok National Park at about 3pm, having spent the journey on the bus chatting with a lovely couple (Jo and Tim) and their 18-month old son Harry from England. Susanne of course had the opportunity to play with little Harry throughout the bus journey! Our accommodation at the national park was called Jungle Huts, which had nice but basic bungalow/huts in the trees near to the river. It also had rather cheeky resident monkeys who would try to steal anything they could from balconies or open doors. The rest of the day was spent walking around the main street leading up to the park entrance where there were lots of atmospheric restaurants and accommodations which were all quite cheap (a bit of a change from the islands). Around the area you could also hear wondrous animals including gibbons and very strange and incredibly loud insects that sounded like motorbikes (see the picture below – they are so small for the sound they make!).


Unfortunately, we were kept awake by a group of really loud and inconsiderate Germans who kept us awake until 1am despite Matt asking them to keep it down twice, but instead they got even louder (It made us feel rather old, but if they would not have been so rude, we would have just joined them). The Germans were woken up early by the monkeys, throwing their beer cans / bottles from the night before at their bungalow. Revenge was rather sweet… So we woke up quite tired and headed off to the park for a good old trek. We went on one of the suggested routes, which was around 10km there and back through quite tough jungle paths. The route had three so-called waterfalls: Wing Hin, Bang Hua Rat and the final one we reached, Bang Liap Nam. However, there was a bit of a translation issue here as they weren’t really waterfalls but rapids – still really pretty though. We also went for a bit of swimming at Wang Yaow which was a beautiful and idyllic waterhole. The water was really cold, but lovely and fresh. Overall, we were quite impressed with Gudrun’s walking abilities as some of the trek was quite hard and she managed it with broken soles on her boots, even though they were very good shoes! We did nearly lose her though back at the park entrance as she somehow managed to walk back down the same path we had come from while we were waiting at the closest restaurant with a well-deserved drink!


9th January:
Today was slightly more chilled out, with less trekking. In the morning we headed off to a monkey temple which someone had mentioned to Gudrun, when she was ‘lost’. Basically, there was what appeared to be a monastery and a temple being built which was home to a large group of monkeys. We watched the monkeys playing around with coconuts and in the water. You could really see their individual characters coming through, with some being more ‘daring’ and others scared of going in the water. There was also a rather interesting Buddhist temple/altar built into a cave where there were lots more monkeys playing around and getting peanuts from tourists. The cave also housed the remains of the monk who founded the place. We then went on our elephant trek which Gudrun had been waiting anxiously for. There was a small elephant farm a 15-min drive away from where we were staying and they seemed to be treated fairly well despite some of the horror stories you hear about the treatment of elephants in Thailand (even though they are the country’s national animal). When you get close, they really are beautiful and majestic animals. The trek involved a short, slow and wobbly journey to another so-called “waterfall”. Susanne plucked up the courage and sat on the front of the elephant, but couldn’t stand it for long due to the really spiky hairs. Afterwards we were able to feed them some sugar cane, which they scoffed down with pleasure. After the trek we headed off to Art’s Riverview Lodge, which is a bungalow resort with a small but pretty swimming hole. We had a swim with a large group of monkeys climbing around on the surrounding cliffs. There was also a lovely and atmospheric restaurant overlooking the swimming hole, with candles and lights on the cliff – very nice. Susanne was a bit disappointed by her soup though and Matt burnt his face off with a ferocious green curry! And the mosquitoes enjoyed our fresh blood…


10th January:
Today we did the popular Chieow Laan lake tour which for many people is said to be the highlight of Khao Sok – and it certainly was the highlight of our trip. As part of the deal, we had breakfast with other members of the group and the tour manager. Our group consisted of us and five other Germans who were all really nice people. (At this point it is worth mentioning that Thailand is full of Germans! Far more than the Brits!) After breakfast we had an hour and a half journey in the back of a pick-up truck to the pier at the start of the lake – it is actually a large reservoir. When we arrived, we took a long-tailed boat for an hour to another pier by the jungle which was basically a large raft. The journey was beautiful with stunning rock formations and forests. At the raft pier, we had 30 mins to relax and so we did a bit of canoeing and swimming in the lake. We were then treated to a large lunch which included fried fish from the lake – Matt was in foodie heaven! After lunch we began our jungle trek to Namataloo cave which took us through dense forest for over an hour. Our guide was convinced that Gudrun wouldn’t be able to do the cave part of the trek and so brought another guide, and he was very grumpy about the whole thing! The trek through the cave for an hour was tough, but an absolutely amazing experience. It was pitch black except for our torches, and a constant stream of water ran through it which was so high that we sometimes needed to swim. We even had to climb up a waterfall in the pitch black! The whole cave was full of interesting rock formations and weird and wonderful insects. It really was the highlight of the day and we were very proud of Gudrun for managing it. After the cave, we trekked back to the pier and then took a boat back to the main pier. But during the journey the heavens opened and we were absolutely soaked. It was quite a hilarious experience watching Susanne try to get into her poncho with high winds but Matt was scared that she might suffocate because she couldn’t find the exit! Poor Gudrun gave up and just got soaked instead! Susanne enjoyed that she picked the pink poncho for Matt that made the whole boat laugh… When we arrived back at our accommodation we went and had dinner with some of the group at a very tasty restaurant where Matt was able to watch the chef in action. We are now off to Kho Lanta to laze on the beach again.


Posted by mattandsusanne 03:20 Archived in Thailand Comments (2)

(Entries 31 - 35 of 37) « Page .. 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »